Tuesday, June 16, 2009

One Sliver of Pie at a Time, Lady

One scary thought running through my brain recently, has been this:

I went through a life-altering, stress filled year and I only managed to LOSE LESS THAN 15 POUNDS!!!!!!!!

Not only that, half of those pounds have crept back on, thanks to giddiness. Grrr.

So, back to doing what worked in the past:
  • Eat healthier (the Dash diet worked when I lost 30 pounds in the past)
  • Smaller portions
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day
  • Keep a food journal
  • Take vitamins
  • Walk at least 5 times a week
  • Weight training 3 times a week
  • Yoga
  • Meditation - quiet time
  • Setting goals
  • Weekly weigh-in
Put all the above into a pie chart with each representing a slice of pie. Some slices might be cut into slivers, for instance: Eat healthier would include only lean protein, high fiber, 8 to 10 vegetables per day, whole grains only, etc.

In the past, I tried to consume the whole pie on day one, which only set me up to fail. Now that I'm older and wiser, I have portioned out a few slivers for this week and when those are mastered, I will add a few more slivers.

Goals (slivers) for this week:
  • Writing down everything I eat in a notebook (no calorie counting)
  • Walk at least 3 times
  • Drink 4 glasses of water per day
  • Take my vitamins
In two days, I have already identified a bad habit - eating 6 year old's leftovers (by the way, 5 year old is now 6). I am not a human garbage disposal and I wasn't aware I was doing this until I started writing it down.

In the meantime, I have been re-reading my favorite diet books - not for a diet plan - but for tips and reading all your blogs for motivation.

Have a great day.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Go, Doc! I love that we keep on learning what works for us. And I sympathize with the kid garbage disposal thing...whenever we babysit, bits of peanut butter and jelly sandwich (for example) seem to make it into my mouth. No more! ;-)

Vickie said...

you made me think of one of my favorite former neighbors - she never fixed herself a plate for meals - she just cleaned off the kids plates. . .

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

This is an AWESOME plan. And I'm not just saying that because I pretty much did the same thing, only I didn't get on the vitamin bandwagon until later in the process and now have thin hair to show for it. :) Incremental changes applied consistently is definitely the way to go!

Hanlie said...

Good to see you well on your way again! You're worth it!

Jill said...

Good job on the goal setting! You're going to do great!

Patience said...

Wow! You're a better person than I am! If it's in front of me, I'm gonna eat it!

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Love this gradual plan!

Maybe you could start a compost pile with the leftovers (along with other things like veggie peels, etc.)? A great use for them, and one that keeps them from going to waste or to your waist. :D

Honib1 said...

YAY!!!! its good to write things down makes us realize what we really consume~~~

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! It is always exciting to learn *new* things about ourselves, especially as we get older.

Cindy said...

wow I remember when six year old was three......I am so glad I have known you this long. I think it is fantastic that you lost and kept some weight off this year. I like your list of things and that you are identifying habits. I still have the tendency to blow a really good eating day by munching stuff at bedtime or shortly before or even during.. but it gets better. Great plan!!